The National Metrology Institute of South Africa (NMISA) was established under the Measurement Units and Measurement Standards Act No 18 of 2006. The NMISA is committed to supporting laboratories through the provision of proficiency testing schemes (PTs) that afford participating laboratories the opportunity to regularly demonstrate their continued analytical measurement competence.
PTs currently offered by the NMISA Organic Analysis Section, operated according to ISO 17043 requirements, include:
Pesticides in Fruit
- Organochlorine pesticides in water
- Organophosphate pesticides in water
- Aqueous ethanol (alcohol content in beverages and forensic blood alcohol analysis)
- Aqueous sodium fluoride (blood sample preservatives)
- Ad-hoc traceable gravimetrically prepared spike solutions for benchmarking when no PTs are commercially available.
The NMISA provides a confidential service to participants that allows a laboratory to assess the accuracy of their test results using their routine laboratory methodologies, thereby testing the effectiveness of their methods and quality assurance programs. The provided PT report is generated to assist laboratories in identifying areas of improvement within their current quality system. A workshop will be held annually to discuss technical difficulties and assist with resolving general analytical problems identified